Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bullshit Branding

Today I received a letter in the mail from my business phone and internet supplier, Qwest. It was to inform me of some really exciting news - Qwest is becoming CenturyLink!!!! WOOOW!!! I can hardly contain myself...


I don't spend much time thinking about phone companies, but do I wish they could stop with the stupid, meaningless or made-up brand names. What was wrong with Bell of Pennsylvania? New England Telephone? Good, solid, reliable names, and you felt like you knew who you were dealing with. They had a hundred year reputation, and everyone knew someone who worked for 'the phone company'. When the Bell System was mercifully broken up, we were left with lower rates, greater innovation, and regional providers with idiotic names like NYNEX (computer language?) and Ameritech (superhero?) as their descendants.

Qwest wasn't much better - it wasn't even a word. I used to think that Qantas was the only word in English that contained a 'Q' not followed by a 'U'. But even that was an acronym. Verizon is just as hideous. Fans of Vertical Horizon (of Everything You Want fame) probably felt like they were getting a shout-out upon its entry into the world.

But now... CenturyLink?!? Wtf is that supposed to mean? Was MillenniumConnect already taken? It's a dumb name by all accounts, and why TheCamelScript?

As for the design, it looks like the result of BP and Fidelity Investments having a kid who wants to sell you a subprime mortgage:


Here's what a branding website has to say about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment